The Forms of Sheng Zhen Meditation
Sheng Zhen Meditation has a wide variety of forms. The moving forms help cultivate qi while the non-moving forms help condense and store the qi in the body. Whether moving or non-moving, Sheng Zhen Meditation has three main functions:
- It is good for physical health. The inner cultivation of qi helps improve the circulation of the blood and strengthens the body which directly improves your health, so it is medical qigong.
- It is good for the emotions. It can remove stress, worries, nervousness, anger and hatred so that, no matter what is going on around you, you are calm, at ease and balanced. Therefore, it is emotional qigong.
- It opens and purifies the heart and elevates the spirit, so it is also spiritual qigong.
Each form has a particular purpose or "flavor," but ALL forms have the primary function of opening the Heart. Some forms are non-moving meditations, some are seated forms, and some are standing forms. Though we may give some suggestions, such as Shen Zhen Healing Practice for cancer patients or Heaven Nature Practice for pregnant women, every form can be practiced by anyone – young or elderly, healthy or ill, man or woman.
For best results it is recommended that the forms be learned in the following order:
- Gathering Qi (standing): Nourishing the Heart (a seated or standing form)
- Awakening the Soul (a seated form)
- Sheng Zhen Healing, Stage I (a seated form)
- Sheng Zhen Healing, Stage II (a seated form)
- Heaven Nature Contemplation (a standing form)
- Heart Spirit as One (a seated form)
- Union of Three Hearts Meditation (a seated form)
- 9 Turns Meditation (a laying-down form)
- Heart Mind as One (a standing form)
- Listening to the Heart (a seated form)
- Return to Spring (a standing form)
- Heaven Earth Contemplation (a seated form)
- Releasing the Heart (a standing form)
- Origin of the Heart (a standing form)
- Sheng Zhen Healing, Stage III (a seated form)
- Breath of Life: Healing from the Lungs (an advanced seated and standing form)
- Strength in Balance: Healing from the Liver (an advanced seated and standing form)
- Light of Purity: Healing from the Kidneys (an advanced seated and standing form)